Friday, August 25, 2006

not kate spade

I'm on the hunt for the perfect handbag. Has to have enough room to dump my stuff, but not too big that everything gets lost in the void. Has to have some pockets for the Frequently Used Items like lip balm, keys, pens, and phone. The list of FUI changes from time to time, but I always need quick access to keys and phone, so that's a must.


I made a couple of bags, but I'm really bad with following patterns and get measurements all messed up. Did a rounded bottom bag based on a pattern I eyeballed off Craftster.org (which is an awesome site). The "pattern" did not have any measurements, so I literally just made it up as I went along.

The result was a nicely shaped bag, but too shallow (this is the purple striped bag). It doesn't close over my stuff. I carry around little notebooks, my fat wallet, phone, and a myriad of smallish objects that collect in the bottom (moms with kids who don't carry their own toys/food/stuff know what I mean). The cream colored bag is a basic square bottomed bag I wish I had used a magnetic clasp instead of a button closure. It's a bit too deep, but otherwise a nice bag.

I think I really just need to start experimenting with zippers and learn to put them in the tops. And maybe start measuring.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Measuring?!? Anything but that!