Thursday, May 10, 2007

Trying new things



I used to make beaded jewelry, but it's too tedious and costly. So the beads sit in a few boxes waiting to be unearthed and either passed on to friends or used for some other project. Voila! I thought about adding them to my stuffies! And so I tried a wee experiment with this little scrap and came up with this. I may make some more and add pins to the back. Still considering legs and arms... or wings or some more specific shapes, like birds, flowers, or other animals. But really, I like my gumdrop shaped odditites.

One thing I need to do is get an embroidery hoop to put the fabric into--will make it easier to sew beads and some minor embroidery (which I'm experimenting with, also). I'm just afraid the poly felt will bend and stretch too much, so it'll be experimenting. I also don't know if I can stretch fleece fabric into a hoop without crushing the fabric.



Also thought about using felt on cards and came up with this. I might do some more. I also need to figure out how to make a template of shapes for more circular circles. I don't want to use my paper punches on fabric and I don't really want to buy any more hardware, so I might just get a plastic template and do the trace-cut thing. I will also need a smaller pair of scissors (see! More hardware!). They aren't kidding when they say that sewing requires multiple pairs of scissors. Well, you don't really, but y'know, it's nice to have a pair with a super sharp point, one to get into tiny spaces, one to cut large swathes of fabric and one all purpose cutter.



And in trying to add art to the very beige walls (because I do not know what color to paint), I took some scrap book paper, dyed some unfinished wood frames with stamp ink (I used a sponge and it didn't take that long. I could have spray painted or used acrylics or something and it would've taken me ten minutes instead of the hour, but I was watching TV while doing it, so it didn't seem that long), and voila. Art. I just need to figure out if I want them vertical or horizontal and attach the hanger on the back.

No comments: